Tuesday, January 11, 2011

The Creepy Guy AKA 108

It is hard to label only one guy "Creepy," but sometimes it just fits. Sometimes you feel guilty for labeling the guy creepy because you feel bad for him. At the same time, you want to turn invisible anytime he shows up.

For the past couple of weeks we've had 108 staying with us. The first night I had the pleasure of meeting him he was buying a soda from me. He pulled out a wad of cash. I try to build a rapport with my guest. I do this by joking with them and making small talk, so when he pulled out the wad, I told him he had a problem of his wallet overflowing. He laughed and I went on to get his change for the soda and asking how his room was. He then points to a $100.00 and says "I'll give you this if you come by my room after you get off work." I've still not found a good way to react to these comments. Do I throw up all over them, do I slap them with my glove, punch them in the nose or dismiss myself? I normally just dismiss myself. After he witnessed my repulsed reaction he said he was joking. Too late. There is not going back from offering to pay someone to go by your room. There are not many ways for this offer to be taken either.

Next time he came around, I tried not to engage. He asked me about who delivered. He was just about to walk away when his phone rang.

At this point maybe we should go over why he was staying at the hotel. His house burned down. Sad I know. Why it happened? He told me he had bought a new space heater. They ruled the space heater to be the cause of the fire. He wasn't home at the time. He seem truly surprised by this.

So the person on the phone is the company that works for your insurance to put you up in a hotel and take care of all the things needed to get you where you need to be. He wanted me to talk to her to write down all the information on short term apartments. Not too unusual. I went over what she had talked about. Most people would have asked for a pen and paper. And he introduced me as his "friend" when he handed the phone over.

A bit later that night he came back. He kept asking if I wanted dinner. I politely turned him down each time. I finally told him I had issue with some foods and couldn't eat just anything. He the offered me a salad. Who can't eat a salad?

I hand him a menu for a local pizza place. I was showing him a few things that were good. He then turns the menu to me and says that he couldn't see well and asked if I would read it to him. This is not normal. This is when I start thinking he might not be able to read and write well. I help him pick a pizza and place the order for him. I have to turn him down a few more times for food. He acts like I truly hurt his feelings.

The next night he comes up and is talking to me. I try to stay in the office as much as I can. He sits on the couch in the lobby and watches the T.V. and asked me to come sit with him. I turn him down telling him I have to work. As he was going to his room he tells me to call him and tell him "night night" after I get off work.

Thankfully we are busy the next night. He came up and said he waited up until 16 minutes after I had got off work. I told him I had to get home to my kids and husband. He left me alone for the rest of the night.

I was talking with some co-workers. He was asking for towels only from housekeeping until he realized that a young girl would be helping clean his room. He then wanted her to clean his tub and make his bed. He asked if he could watch.

When he checked in he was asked to initial his registration card. He said he didn't have initials. Again, sad.

The GM has left him messages to not bother us at the desk and harass us any more. Today he came up and was telling me he wanted something to do. He asked to talk with the "girl back there" (my boss who was busy.) She said she didn't want to talk to him and was loud saying so. He heard her and went away. He will be moving in to his temporary apartment in 3 days!

Update: The other girl that works the front desk says he talks to her about religion and God. And he hasn't checked his messages.

No comments:

Post a Comment